Introducing... {The Birth Story}

My beautiful daughter decided to grace us with her presence on Monday morning, August 1, 2011, at 9:13am. The little chubster weighed 9 pounds 4 ounces and measured 21 inches long. She is a beauty and we are in love. Meet Haley Elizabeth, our daughter.

Her story:

From the moment we found out we were going to have a baby, we had planned to have an all natural home birth. Throughout the duration of my pregnancy, I saw a midwife rather than a doctor. We truly had such a great time seeing her rather than spending hours upon hours in a doctor's office every month of the pregnancy. She works out of her home and most of our appointments were fast and friendly, lasting about 15 minutes max. So nice! I did my research on home birth and we decided it was the right thing for us. Besides, I was born at home 25 years ago, so why not make it a tradition?

Early Sunday morning, July 31, I woke up to a contraction. Ten days past due, I hoped that this contraction was for real. From 4:30am to about 7:30am, I timed my contractions. They were steady and not stopping. Excited, I woke up Scott and my mom with the news. We ate breakfast and hung out around the apartment all morning. By noon, my contractions were about 5 minutes apart, so we called our midwife to come over.

I was progressing very well and by 8pm, I was 9 cm dilated. My water broke and we all expected the baby very soon. My contractions were strong and getting closer together, but my body would not dilate past 9.5 cm. The midwife told me that the baby's head was not fully flexed (a baby's chin should be tucked during birth, also called flexed), and that she was stuck in the pelvis. I labored hour after hour hoping that something would change, but no progress was happening. My contractions began slowing down, making progress even less likely.

At 8am on Monday morning, after nearly 28 hours of labor, we found ourselves driving to the hospital. I was tired, frustrated, and so incredibly ready to be a mom. After a couple doctors and nurses examined my status, they decided a c-section was in order. The baby's heart rate was not strong and she was distressed.

I honestly never thought my daughter would be born via cesarean section. It was the last thing that I wanted to happen, but I'm happy it did because it gave me my sweet, healthy, and happy baby girl. It reminded me that not all births are normal and not all can take place outside of the hospital.

This story did not happen as I had originally planned. Sometimes, things just work out differently than we ever imagined. I can't help but be thankful that my daughter and I are safe. And healthy. I'm happy she's now at home and sleeping in her own crib. Scott and I have been so incredibly blessed by God with the life of this sweet little girl.